A common requirement is to connect the data from multiple systems, linking databases together. Some common data integration requirements:
- Integrating warehouse inventory levels with the ecommerce web site to provide accurate stock levels online
- Publishing content from a back-office intranet onto a web site
- Connecting the staff area of a website to gather timesheet information and integrate with a payroll system
- Integrating ecommerce orders into a fulfilment process at a warehouse
There are several approaches to solve data integration problems:
- The most popular method of connecting disparate systems is via an API (application programme interface) which allow authenticated connections to transfer data via REST or SOAP.
- Sometimes, albeit rarely, databases can be directly connected i.e. both systems can read from the same database.
- It is sometimes possible to set up replication between 2 databases so changes in one are immediately reflected in another. This process can be one-way or two-way.
- Sometimes it is necessary to set up a scheduled automated process where data is exported in a common format (often XML), transferred to the web site via FTP, and imported into the site.
Find Out More
Moot Point has extensive experience in data migration and integration. Find out how we can save you time and money.
Recent Data Wrangling Projects
Ecommerce site built in WooCommerce with custom responsive theme and integration with the company’s stock control system via REST API.
Ecommerce site build in OpenCart with custom-built theme and integration with EPOS system.
WordPress build with WooCommerce booking system and Xero accounting system integration.